Friday, November 9, 2012

Daisy


"No sé ni cómo ni sé de dónde
Ciertos poderes ella se esconde
No me preguntes ni ni te asombres
Se llama Daisy, la come hombres"

-"Daisy" by the Nada


Our pooch's name is Daisy, and we got the name from the song lyrics listed above. She is a cute little Yorkshire Terrier that just showed up in our yard one day in March. My husband has always been opposed to the idea of having a dog because he grew up not liking dogs (and still does not consider himself a "dog person," just a "Daisy" person.) When this precious pooch showed up, I was at home that day and got so excited to see this cute dog lurking around our house, peeking into our windows, and lying in our massive clover patches. I knew there was no way we would keep her, so I got a box from the garage, an old towel, and some water and set up a little warm place for the dog to stay until I could find out who its owners were. Well, when I was finally able to get close enough, there was no collar and no tag to be found anywhere. Hmm. This was going to make things a little bit harder, but I knew a dog like this would have some sort of tracking chip, so I didn't worry too much. I coaxed her (with a little cooked chicken) into the box so she would stay until I could talk to my husband about taking her to the vet to check for the chip.


When my husband got home, we decided to wait until the next day to take her, thinking maybe the owners would come door to door looking for her. (We have had dogs show up before, but luckily with tags so we could call the owners; people have also come to our door looking for lost dogs.) We expected someone to show up. When nobody came that night or the next day, we took her to the vet to have her checked for a chip. Guess what... no chip at all! I was getting a little worried at this point because I knew hubby wouldn't want to keep her and I was getting pretty attached. (I mean look how CUTE she is.) We decided to go ahead and have her checked and treated for worms, since we thought she might be with us a couple of days until her owners called. We left our number with the vet and told them to call us if anybody called about a missing yorkie. A few days went by and nobody called, but....my husband came to me and said, "I've been thinking (! me getting a little excited...), you are home a lot and I know you really want a dog and she seems to be a pretty low maintenance one...and she is pretty stinkin' cute...what would you think about just keeping her? We would have to give her back if someone called, but for now, would you want to keep her?" Even though I had always wanted a yorkie just like this, I was a bit skeptical at first. Having a dog is a big responsibility and I didn't want to become too attached only to find out that someone was looking for her. However, I quickly got over it when she won me over with her sweet temperament and cuddly nature. We decided to keep her and name her (I had been calling her "Gus" because I actually didn't even look to see what gender she was and just assumed she was a boy (for whatever reason) and didn't want to become too attached so I never really checked....I know, weirdo...) We waited a few more days before taking her back to the vet to get all her shots (just still waiting on someone to call) and we had no idea how old she was either (She walked around kind of slowly and feebly; we thought she was really old.) When we took her, the vet told us that by looking at her teeth, she appeared to be about 2-3 years old! He gave her some shots, checked her for heart-worms (which was negative!), and gave us some vitamins to give her since she was looking a little under-nourished. He said based on his experience, we should just keep her and give her a good home, and that usually people would be calling about this type of dog.


She has definitely filled out since the above picture was taken in March. Strangely, when we found out she was not old and decrepit, her behavior changed and she started bouncing around and acting more like a puppy! Now she is just as playful as can be, and weighs about a pound and a half more than she did when we first took her to the vet. This is "da Daisy" (sometimes we call her Simba because she looks like a baby lion!)



{baby lion, right?!}







No comments:

Post a Comment